Since 12 May, one of the 13 DDR Porsche replicas from the 50s can be seen at fahr(T)raum Mattsee.
The Reimann brother twins fulfilled their dream of building their own Porsche in the 1950s. They secretly constructed their sports car from the floor plate of an old German military jeep, various engine parts from backyards and a wooden body built by the Lindner workshop near Dresden. They drove to Rome and Paris at speeds of up to 130 km/h – fitted with counterfeit customs number plates. In Stuttgart, Ferry Porsche donated additional parts to convert the 1100 Beetle engine into a 356 motor.
In 1961, the brothers landed in the Stasi prison in Berlin. After their homecoming the Porsche was gone.
The Porsche surfaced again by Alexander Fritz (author and hobby mechanic) from Vienna, who bought it “mistakenly” in scrap condition in 2011. He researched the origin of the car and finally restored it together with the Reimann brothers. The “Lindner Coupé” is now rolling again at fahr(T)raum Mattsee.
The special exhibition runs until September 30, 2017.